Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Flash Flood

Irrigation canal for desert agriculture. Mexicali, Baja California
It has been a very dry season - in our city of San Diego, and on this blog. This rainy season has hosted but one lonely storm. The cry of drought has yet to sound, perhaps because this is our new norm. In the last two decades, only three years have boasted above average rainfall.

This blog has lain dormant as well, but not for lack of activity. Since my last post on the shores of the Atlantic, the trail of the Aridland Ambassador has taken me to deserts, watersheds and visionary cities around the world. I have devoted myself to a career in water, working to restore abandoned streams and neglected inner-city creeks. And I have grown intellectually while studying hydrology and watershed science at San Diego State University.

The world seems to be descending into extremes, but there are so many ways for us to right the ship. Over the next few months I will begin blogging again, recollecting those memories from my time abroad [2013-2015] as an Aridland Ambassdor and my last three years learning about the Colorado River Watershed and the City of San Diego as a graduate student. Let it rain!

1 comment:

  1. I will follow your posts as this is of a huge interest of mine. ;)
    I would like also to connect you with the Climate Alliance - http://www.climatesciencealliance.org/. I work with them offering artistic assembly programs and workshops at schools in San Diego creating more consciousness in the students and staff about the climate change. They are awesome and have meetings throughout the year connecting people with the same interest ! YAY! Axé!

    ReplyDelete